Monday, March 17, 2008

Can she really be five?!

Alexa opening her presents on Sunday morning. We let her pick out one of her gifts- a Purse Pal digital pet. It was actually a fluke; she and I happened to be at Target a couple weeks before her birthday and we went looking down the toy aisles so I could get an idea of what she wanted. We found the Purse Pal, she wanted it really badly and it was the only one. So, I told her I would buy it as long as she didn't ask to see it or talk about until her birthday. She slipped up a couple times as her birthday got closer, but she did really well.
Alexa was fairly specific with the directions for her cake. This is totally her design: the frosting, candies, sprinkles, and five PINK candles. She was quite pleased with her accomplishments.

So, I pretty much think I stopped aging about five years ago. In my mind, I should be about 23. The fact that I will be 29 this year is crazy! It doesn't bother me- it just seems impossible. It also seems slightly impossible that I could have a child who is five year old! We're so grateful for Alexa. She has always been my little friend. Because she acts so much older than she is, I've always treated her older than she is. I have to remind myself sometimes when she is having a five-year-old moment that she really is 5 and I can't expect her to always act older. She is far too smart for her own good- she catches on to everything (especially the stuff we don't want her to catch on to). I am excited to see where that takes her in this life. I expect she will do wonderful things in her own wonderful way and will impact those around her for good no matter where she goes. Happy Birthday, Alexa. We love you!!

4 comments:

Judie and George said...

The good thing is that you don't have to wonder about anything. Since she knows EXACTLY what she wants, if you know how to follow directions, you can take care of it. It's the secret keepers who are hard to deal with because how do you ever figure it out?

Honor said...

She's 5! Yeah! It is weird I suppose, but she has always acted older, so she seems like she should be five to me.

Coordination Queen said...

Happy birthday Alexa! Crazy how fast they grow up... I still freak out about Kylie being 5 and I've had almost 2 months to get used to it.

Stopher and Nicolle said...

i can't believe how old anybody is anymore. I think I'm 18 everyday...doesn't help that my husband is 3 years younger and constantly reminding me. i really can't believe you have a five year old!! congrats! i hate to admit that i'm envious...