Saturday, April 26, 2008

Madness

So, the infamous In-N-Out Burger is officially open in St. George. (Washington, actually.) It has got to be the biggest thing here since the Olive Garden opened over a year ago. Crowds of people are insane enough to wait in line for 45 minutes or longer just to get a taste of the burger and fries. The line for drive-thru wraps around the neighboring strip mall, the end sometimes not even in sight. They've got three or four workers outside along that nutty line to help take orders. The line to eat inside is WAY out the door. People are sitting on the curb outside eating their precious meals. Every other fast food joint nearby is deserted. Even on my way home from the grocery store last night at 10:30PM the line was still just as long as it had been earlier in the day when we drove past. Now, I've been trying to figure this out. Anyone who can help me, please do. I've been to In-N-Out a few times. It's a good hamburger, but 45 minutes?! I don't think it's THAT good... I'd rather wait till the crowds die down than to face that mess. My kids would be hysterical in the car if we had to sit for that long. So, you die-hard In-N-Out fans: Am I missing something? Is there something on that menu that is really worth the wait?

10 comments:

Honor said...

what is it .... just a fast food restaurant? maybe things are more of a big deal where you live because it's so remote?

Emily A. said...

Its the fry sauce....it makes people do silly things...
Just kidding...I have no idea what the appeal is. I like the place, but I am like you and would never sit in line that long just to have a hamburger. People are weird.

Jon & Bridget said...

I have to tell you Jon and I went to walmart and costco last night. He kept bugging me to go eat at In n Out until I showed him the lines. No Thanks! :) Glad to see you made it safely home. Sorry I am just blog stalking :)

Stopher and Nicolle said...

Uh, yes, it's worth it. Maybe I take it for granted since we have them everywhere, but I am reluctant to move anywhere without an In N Out or a Trader Joes...You have to get a burger and fries Animal Style. You can also get more meat and cheese by ordering 2x2, 3x3, 4x4, etc...I don't think there's a limit! Also, if you don't want meat you can get a grilled cheese...it's all the burger stuff without the burger...Can we say fabulous??!!

Anonymous said...

Fast Food is always worth the wait.

Jill Wittwer said...

So the day of our meeting that I said we were going to try and go to In-and-Out, we really did! But we didn't go through the drive through, we just went in and it took like 10 minutes total, waiting in line and getting our food! Probably because there are like 5 things on the menu! It was really fun though!

Lyndsi said...

I don't understand the mayhem either... I don't even like waiting 45 minutes anywhere let alone fast food! :)

Coordination Queen said...

If I'm going to wait 45 minutes to get food from a place it better be some place like Carrabba's. I've eaten at In-N-Out several times, but I don't taste the difference. They are all greasy hamburgers and greasy fries.

Lydia Hench said...

i totally disagree... it is the best place ever! ha
so i decided to join the blogging madness..

Rach_Spencer said...

Okay, you got me started. In-N-Out is fast food, yes. Burger and fries, yes. Better than a nice sit-down restaurant, maybe a couple, but not most. They don't use freezers. Each location has to be within a quick drive of their distribution center to ensure the freshest, purest ingredients are used. They peel the fresh spuds in front of you. Their shakes are real milk unlike other fast food joints. I personally love their fries and burgers and by saying 'yes' to In-N-Out, I am saying 'no' to all the other slimy FF-joints who still try to pass off their filthy, over-processed, thawed, flavor-enhanced junk on us as edible food. 45 minutes is crazy but not so bad after waiting 3+ years for them to finally act on that location and finish the building for business. Sorry for the rant, but it's been a couple months since I ate there —John