Thursday, April 3, 2008

I Love My Mom Because (Reasons 11-20)

So, today marks another birthday in our family. Happy Birthday, Mom! I'm so excited to be with you on this day. I can't even remember the last time I was here for one of your birthdays... I bet it was at least ten years ago! So, as a tribute to our mother, my siblings and I are giving 61 reasons why we love her. I have reasons 11-20. If you want to catch the rest, you'll need to check out the blogs of my brothers and sisters.

11. She listens to me complain, gripe, laugh, cry, and everything else on the phone whenever I need her to... even if it's everyday.
12. She taught me the value of hard work through her example. Whether it be at home, in a church calling, in school or anywhere else, my mom gives it her best and always has.
13. She has been to my house on more than one occasion just to watch my kids so I can leave for a few days. She even came just so I could go to Girls Camp one year. She has also come for each of the three births of my kids and has made it to every blessing as well. Thanks for planning your trips around my schedule! What mom does that?!
14. She has a love of the scriptures. I love that when I call and need advice, she can quote a scripture to me that perfectly fits my situation.
15. She loves to read. Growing up, I can always remember my mom fully engrossed in a book. I love that she showed us how wonderful books can be.
16. She has spent the majority of her life in the service of others; whether it be her children, other family members, or others. And, my mom continues to serve even when it is hard.
17. She made us memorize quotes and scriptures growing up. I still remember almost all of them and frequently use them in lessons, talks and with my own kids. And, when I do use them I always preface them by saying, "My mom is the most amazing woman I know. I wish you all could know her."
18. She's very computer savvy. I know so many moms who don't even bother trying. I love that my mom knows what she is doing on the computer... she's probably better at it than me.
19. My mom taught us to love music, art, old movies, astronomy, geology, nature, etc. Some of my best memories are of "vinca parties", camping, the ocean, petroglyph hunting, Doris Day movies, classical music... the list goes on. I am glad I have a knowledge of these things! It makes life so much more enjoyable.
20. One of the greatest compliments anyone could ever give me would be that I am like my mother. She is my hero. Someday, if I am even half the woman she is, I will be truly grateful.

*Any woman who raises ten kids as well as my mom did deserves an award. Happy Birthday, Mom. I love you!

2 comments:

Judie and George said...

This birthday is special because you are here. Thanks for making something of it for me.

Tracey said...

That's a fantastic tribute, you have such a talent for saying things the right way. I have been working on my "tag" for ages and still don't know what I am going to say! I love the Easter pics, the dresses are darling! I don't know what Hayden actually believes because he makes comments but he humors me because he thinks like I did as a kid and worries that if he doesn't believe then he won't get the presents! I hope you are having a great trip! FYI: I am going to my cousins wedding in Utah on April 26th and will be driving back to San Diego on the 26th or 27th... would love to stop and see you again and may need a place to stay if I don't drive all the way through. (My mom is going to help me drive all the way through on the way there.) Anyway, I'll talk to you more about it later!