Friday, September 26, 2008

Butterfly Brigade

One of the things I love about living in the Fields is the yellow butterflies that come out at the end of the summer. Thousands of butterflies can be seen hovering over the fields, flying through the neighborhoods, and lying dead on the side of the roads after fateful collisions with the fronts of cars. My kids also love butterfly season. Callie, in particular. She decided to collect dead butterflies in a jar this year. The picture below is one of her holding her latest catch. Notice her shirt- coincidence? Hmm....
These purple bushes in the front of our house attract butterflies like magnets. It's usually the first place the girls go when they step outside.
Emmie, Callie, Alexa and Rylee. Emmie and Rylee live just down the street. The girls run through people's yards and scour the bushes and ditches just to find a butterfly that isn't quite fast enough to get away. Yeah, it's a tricky business catching butterflies. It's also good that we live in a neighborhood where no one cares that kids run through their front yards all the time...
And this is the end result. A poor butterfly caught in a jar with flowers (the girls think this way the butterflies can eat and won't die) that eventually I set free because I feel so bad for it. At least it occupies their time, right?

8 comments:

Rach_Spencer said...

At first glance I thought Callie was Alexa. Her hair is so long. Earlier in the summer the boys (and John) were obsessed with catching monarch caterpillars hoping to get a butterfly. One of them actually made a cocoon but a butterfly never hatched. Maybe next year.

Judie and George said...

Some year I'd like to be there for butterfly season. It sounds so sweet and looks like a lot of fun too.

Andrea said...

Hey Cori, just wanted to let your know I ams etting our blog to private, if you want to keep peeking in on us, e-mail me YOUR e-mail. Thanks! aross3019@gmail.com

Stopher and Nicolle said...

just thought i'd let you know that i am terrified of butterflies and would be totally freaked out!! i had an incident when i was younger. ugh, that jar pic is creeping me out!

Stopher and Nicolle said...

oh, and i have never fallen out of love with gavin rossdale. thanks for keeping me sane with this song on here!! I LOVE IT!!

emily :) said...

I small, wonderful blessing of living a such a warm place! I miss the butterflies :)

Tawna said...

I just planted a butterfly bush in my yard and within a few days it was already attracting butterlfies. Its fun to watch them.

Linds said...

I love the butterflies too! They are amazing! It kinda makes you feel like your in fairy land! lol!