Monday, August 24, 2009

What Exactly Do I DO???

I've been asking myself this question the last couple weeks. Maybe it's the whole school starting and getting into a routine thing that has stemmed my questioning. Everyone has something that they do, right? Well, I've been having a tough time figuring out exactly what that thing is for me. I don't like to scrapbook, I don't decorate, paint, refinish furniture, make jewelry, or anything of the sort. I actually hate most crafts and quite honestly, even if I liked them, I am not good at any of them. I don't bike, go to the gym, do yoga; I can't run yet because my hips still ache from having a baby. And let's be serious- I haven't really ran for any good length of time since I trained for the marathon when I was pregnant with Leah. I'm actually a fairly good cook, but don't like it- I only do it out of necessity. I don't bake, crochet, knit or make quilts; I can sew, but I'd rather buy it than make it... I have incredibly crafty sisters who are always coming up with some cool thing to make. I didn't get that gene; it totally and completely passed me by. I'm not that great of a housekeeper- my house is never spotless. I'm not a party planner- I buy my kids' birthday cakes if they want something cool- I would never even WANT to attempt to make a cool cake. I don't like wrapping gifts to make them look beautiful- I think it's a waste of paper and ribbons, actually. I don't sing, play the piano, or any other musical instrument for that matter. I don't speak any foreign languages. So, WHAT DO I DO???

The question has truly tortured me. And then I decided this: everyday I raise three little girls and a tiny baby boy. It is an exhausting and somewhat daunting task at times. It's not glamorous, most of the time I don't get a thank you for it, quite frequently no one even notices the hours and hard work I put into it. Most of the time the job I have performed looks like I never even did it. And yet, I do it again and again, always knowing that the outcome will be the same. Right now, with these four little kids living in my home, it doesn't matter that I don't DO anything else. Someday when my four little ones are not so time consuming, maybe I will want to decorate or paint a wall in my house. Maybe making dinner will become a pleasant experience instead of a burden. Maybe I will have the time to run without feeling rushed. But, for right now maybe it's a good thing that I don't DO anything. There are no projects undone, waiting for me to finish them; I'm not longing to be somewhere else because I know there is nowhere I need to be. For now I will do my dishes, finish my laundry, pick up my living room, and if I'm not too tired when it's all done, I will read a good book. For now, I am content doing nothing.

13 comments:

Josie said...

I love this post Cori! I often feel the same way. I feel like I am surrounded by ridiculously talented friends and I don't have a "thing". And for sure I am right there with you, the things I do aren't noticed unless they aren't done! I like your way of looking at it!

CLUFF FAMILY said...

Great post. I love it. There is a longer list of what Do you do than what you DONT do.

emily :) said...

If you are talking the "talent" thing, then I think you are forgetting that you DO something all the time...you are a wonderful mother, a loyal friend and enjoy learning! Each of those things aren't "showy talents", but qualify as doing something :) Just 2 cents from a sister who thinks you are marvelous and who felt very similar things as a younger mom with a newborn baby ;)

Coordination Queen said...

I like the company in the "I don't DO anything" club. Are you the president? Do I need to apply for membership?

Aaron and Bonnie said...

I absolutely love this post. I was feeling the exact same way just 2 days ago. Thank you for being so real. I love it!

Melissa said...

I second Kassie! I'll donate some dues. Maybe we could make the art of doing nothing a little more sophisticated. I may have already perfected since I consider napping a hobby.

elonna said...

Being a Mom requires doing "nothing" because how could we get everything done that is truely important. Having time for all the little things that will pass soon enough is a great thing! Loved the post about made me cry. (That is so funny how your girls were sick about the mud, my boys could have played in it for hours.) You have cuties.

Scott and Selma said...

You are truly amazing! I wish I could be that content in life. It seems I have to see that I have accomplished something for me to feel of value. I admire and think you are a wonderful mom because of your contentment. I want to take lessons!

Tracey said...

Well said Cori, just repost that every few months to remind us all! I love Quinten's haircut, super cute! I'm glad Alexa was so excited about the start of school, maybe some of that enthusiasm can be shared over here, Hayden starts Monday and doesn't want to give up the freedom of summer...luckily, I'm ready though!

Anonymous said...

Thanks Cori! You've taken care of me too and I only have happy memories. FYI: I love to read your blog and look at your pictures on Facebook.

Just in case: this is Charity Ann Kid (Johnson).

Lyndsi said...

Amen sista! Glory be to you! :) haha... I hate scrap booking as well. Its probably because I totally suck at it. But maybe that is because I hate it... hmmmm- anyway! I appreciate your 24/7 job! I know its hard. Especially with four kids I can't even imagine! Good luck with doing nothing. Counting the carpet fibers is always fun. I do that as I am scrubbing juice out of my carpet.

Melissa said...

I love it! You can add great writer to your list too. You can be a great mom and a great blog writer...

Wendy said...

Amen to that. Sometimes I get depressed when I think of all the other things I have put on hold until I stop myself and realize that what I'm doing (being a mom) is so much more important than all the other things I could be doing.