Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Pretty in Pink


We wear a lot of pink in our house- I guess that goes without saying. It is a rare day that one of the girls isn't wearing the color. Recently, the color pink has taken a new meaning in our home. About a year ago, my sister Siri's niece, Ashley, was diagnosed with a rare form of brain tumor. She is Alexa's age and because of this, we had several opportunities for the girls to get together and play when we would go up North. Alexa loves Ashley. There wasn't a single day in the past year that Ashely wasn't mentioned in her prayers. She passed away just over two months ago. Her parents and family members asked that in memory of Ashley people wear pink to the funeral. Hundreds of pink bows were tied around trees in her neighborhood to remember her as well. We did not go up North for the funeral. However, we all wore pink on that special day to remember her. And now, every day that we put pink on in our home has become a time to talk about Ashley. We talk about how we can be more like Ashley throughout our day. She was an amazing little girl. We were blessed to be able to spend time with her and her family. If you want to read Ashely's story, click here.

9 comments:

Judie and George said...

This is a sweet picture of the girls. There is nothing like having sisters! I have always wished I had one.

Honor said...

they look so much alike. I just love them!!!

emily :) said...

They are so adorable! Pink is worn quite often in our house too ;)

Ryan said...

LOVE the picture

Leesa said...

What a great way to celebrate her and her special spirit, sounds like she was loved and still is.

Andrea said...

I love that picture, send me any extras you have of the girls.
I miss you all very much!
How is swimming lessons?

Darek and Amberli said...

Cori and Andrew, what's UP! Saw your comment on our blog Cori and been meaning to get back to you. 3 girls!?! no way, that's awesome. Happy for you guys. Things are good out here in Boston and we love this city...far from family but it's a cool experience out East. (Gives me a legit excuse to be a Celtics fan!) Matt was just up visiting us from NYC last week with his new wife (pics on the blog).

Anyway, I'm at darek.w.mccoy@gmail.com, let me know where you guys are at and what you've been up to, let's catch up for sure.

Honor said...

i like the background!

Emily Peterson said...

Talk about make me cry. What a sweet post. Chris told me about your site today and appreciate your kind words about Ashley. Your girls are beautiful and look great in pink.