Sunday, June 8, 2008

Amber is 8!

For the last eight years, I have had the great opportunity to share my birthday week with my niece, Amber. Her birthday is the day after mine, so we frequently have family gatherings to celebrate our birthdays. Today was one of those great occasions. Amber is amazing- she has lived through more in her little lifetime than most people ever do. Amber was born with Down Syndrome, she is in remission after a long fight with Leukemia, and has had heart surgery to repair holes in her heart. Amber is sweet and loving and concerned for the welfare of everyone else. We are lucky to have her as a part of our family. Today, she was in all her glory. It was so fun to see her so excited about a day devoted to her. Michelle told us that today in church she went around and greeted everyone before Sacrament Meeting and informed them it was her birthday. She was genuinely thrilled at every birthday present she opened and her whole face was glowing. Happy Birthday, Amber! We love you so much! (By the way- the last three pictures here are specifically for Aunt Andrea who couldn't be here today. They are of Amber opening Andrea's gift. We missed you, Andrea!) Amber and the crew of kids... actually I don't think this is even half of them. Well, maybe half.
The two birthday girls... and a bunch of other people who couldn't be nearly as important as Amber and I. OK, that's a little harsh considering two of the other people are my own kids. The girl holding Callie is actually Michelle and Steve's neighbor, Andi. She is everyone's swim instructor and we LOVE her. Callie especially has taken to her. We wish she lived on our side of town so she could babysit for us.
It wouldn't be a birthday if Alexa wasn't helping someone open their present.
Littlest Pet Shop Go Fish. They tried playing before we left... it was a valiant attempt.
Workbooks to do over the summer for letters and numbers. Amber informed her mom that they HAD to do them. And, Michelle said they would because Andrea said so. It was funny.

7 comments:

Coordination Queen said...

What a fun time.

Jill Wittwer said...

Sounds like you had a great birthday! It's nice to go places without having to rush, one day I will have to try it! Happy Birthday!

Andrea said...

Thank you Cori, it really meant alot to me! I hope you had a great weekend.

The Foisy's said...

Ok, so seeing you in those pictures totally makes me sad!! I miss that neighborhood so much. Here in Vegas, you kind of don't want to get to know your neighbors ya know? Whenever I'm at church, I just feel like I'm back in St.George because the chapels all look the same. I'm constantly looking for all of you guys and then I'm reminded where I am. Our goal after dental school is to move back. We love it there so much.

Melissa said...

Hey...happy birthday! Congrats on leaving the children's section of the library!

Amie said...

Congrats Cori! You look so cute with that cake.

sam said...

Your girls are getting so big! We'll have to come by for a visit when we get back in town. I can't remember whether we told you, but we're having a boy in September. We had the ultrasound just before we came out here.