Monday, May 11, 2009

My Life in a Nutshell

Sometimes I wonder about my life... what on earth possesses me to do some things and keeps me from doing other things. Do you ever feel that way? Today has been one of those days. I am wondering why I ever agreed to let Alexa get a fish for her birthday TWO years ago. Yes, that is right- it was the fish that kept on living. No one cared about the thing two weeks after we bought it, I was usually the only one to feed it and I was certainly the only one to clean the nasty fish bowl. Well, those days came to an end today... and it was all my fault. Note the empty fish tank above as you listen to my tale of woe. I cleaned out the stupid bowl, which was disgusting, I might add. I was in the process of moving Dave back into his bowl and as I dumped the water out of his little cup, I neglected to get the net under him fast enough and he slipped down the drain. Actually, he got caught in the black flappy part of the disposal and I couldn't decide if I should try to grab him or just let him go. In my moment of indecision, he slipped right down. Did I unnecessarily let him die? Probaby. Was it a calculated murder? I can't decide. I hated the thing- everyone knew that... but, I didn't really mean to for him to go like that. And, to make matters worse, I let the water run to make sure he really went down, but I guess I needed to run the disposal because the water was backing up.... I never saw him, so I had to run the disposal. He's REALLY gone. Alexa ran to her room and cried; called me a mean mom- the usual. Callie said he must have gone to the ocean like Nemo. Thank goodness for Disney movies, right??
This second picture is an embarrassment. It's taking a lot out of me to post it... this is the baby's room. I just can't manage to get the motivation to clean it. Baby presents, boxes of diapers and wipes, bins of the girls clothes that need to be sorted, half of Leah's clothes that still need to be moved to her new room, the baby's carseat and swing, a bouncer seat that needs to be put together, piles of baby clothes that have the tags cut off and just need to be washed... the list is endless. I have NO desire to get any of it ready. NADA, ZIP, NONE, ZERO, ZILCH. What is keeping me from getting it done? I have no idea. I'm sure I'll get my act together sometime soon... I'm just not sure how soon....

10 comments:

Coordination Queen said...

Well, it wasn't premeditated. :)

Melissa said...

If you want to hear about premeditated, right before my family and I moved from Alaska my parents one day went into town. It took us a couple hours before we noticed our dog Spring was MIA and when my parents came back they informed us that they had put Spring to sleep. Um, yeah, they totally put her to sleep because my mom didn't want to have to deal with her on the drive from Alaska to Washington. Now that's premeditated!

Amie said...

I love it! Thanks for being human so I feel better about being human too. And when does that stupid nesting instinct kick in? I'm just waiting for that big feeling where I just want to get everything organized. It shows no signs of surfacing though.

Judie and George said...

You could call it "The Demise of Dave" and aren't you glad he probably made it through the disposal without being ground to death, as in, "The Grinding End of Dave."

Not to fear. I will clean that room! You only have to wait two weeks!

emily :) said...

Poor thing! I mean you, not Dave ;) I'm not a fan of pets, so I don't feel too sorry the pet or the owners of the pet. Is that cold-hearted? Two years is a long time for any fish, so Alexa should feel pretty lucky! :)

Kurt, Jennifer and family said...

Kurt and I just had the best laugh in a long time. That story is hilarious. We totally know how you felt! We have a fish that has been with us for at least 3 years and we call him the fish that just won't die!

One time one of our hamsters died because I forgot to feed it (nobody else would take care of him!). We were stressing about how to tell the kids so Kurt said "Remember how you had 2 hamsters? Well, now you have 1. Who wants to go to the park?" And off we went.

Pets are funny!

Elizabeth said...

Oh my goodness, that is horrible and funny all at the same time.

Emily A. said...

Lol...at least you didn't eat it for dinner or something.

Katie said...

Like Elizabeth said, that is horrible and funny. "Accidents" happen! Most likely we will drive out of OH on July 1st. I am not really sure how long we will take to get to ID. We may or may not stop in UT for a short visit on the way up to ID. Just let me know when you are driving through ID. I would love visitors!

Melissa said...

You make me laugh. I love the fish story. Thanks for letting your kids spend every waking moment with mine...it makes my life so much easier...they are so sweet! Good luck pushing!