Friday, September 25, 2009

I am a LIAR...

Yes, I am a liar. But, what choice do you have when your six year old is about to ruin the novelty of the Tooth Fairy for the rest of the family?? Alexa lost her first tooth this morning. It's obviously been loose all week, so she's had too much time to think about what will happen to the tooth when it finally falls out. This was a conversation we had at the dinner table this week...unfortunately, Andrew wasn't there, so I had no backup...

Alexa: Mom, is the Tooth Fairy real?
Me: Well, what do you think?
Alexa: I want you to tell me the truth. Is it or not?
Me: I really want to know if you think the Tooth Fairy is real.
Alexa: I think maybe it's real, but I want you to tell me if it is or not.
Me: Well, I think there is a fairy who does come and take your tooth and replaces it with money.
Alexa (staring RIGHT into my face): And that's the truth?
Me: Sure.

WHAT CHOICE DID I HAVE???? She had yet to lose a tooth. The other girls were sitting there. I couldn't possibly ruin it for the whole family before we even got started. They already don't believe in the Easter Bunny because of her. (Long story) I can't let her superior logic ruin everyone's fun all the time. Can't I put on some of the girls' dress-up fairy wings and be a fairy for a few minutes when they lose a tooth? I'm sure there is a way to justify lying to all my girls right in their faces...
I will put up a picture of Alexa- I just need to take one first. :) She pulled it out herself while brushing her teeth this morning. I hope they are all that easy.

8 comments:

Aaron and Bonnie said...

I did the same thing about a year ago. I think you handled it A Lot better than I did. Yes, you are a fairy, therefore, no, you did not lie. It's Justified! Good Luck with your smart little Alexa!

emily :) said...

I've been lying to my children for ages!! :) Karen thinks it is cruel, but I personally thinks it makes childhood more fanciful and fun. In fact, as far as I know my Megan, who is 12, still believes the Jolly Old Elf is alive and well :) This may be the year that things finally settle in for her, but I'd like to think that magic never leaves...has dad ever doubted!? Still to this day he will never deny, and honestly I don't think I ever will either! :)

Judie and George said...

It wasn't a lie. You just gave yourself another name for that particular mommy job!

Rach_Spencer said...

We just had the Santa conversation at dinner today and I thought of your post. I too had no choice but to lie through my teeth...all for the sake of childhood. Benjamin knows the truth and has hinted to the truth many times but plays along pretty well especially when we keep lying about it. Christian on the other hand sticks with his story that he saw Santa in the sky last Christmas...no reindeer, just Santa.

Tracey said...

You have to let the magic live, even if she is too smart for it let her sweat it out for a few years (okay, months) and maybe she's not the type to enjoy this kind of fun but the others might. It's not lying, it's just playing make believe. Especially because she thinks she's 15 years old you have to force her to try!! I'm glad Callie likes preschool and would love to hear the story of what happened at home the first day, sounds interesting!

Charlotta-love said...

Are you or are YOU not real? You are real. Hence so is the tooth fairy.

Heather said...

Who doesn't lie. I've been lying for years and not just to children. Just kidding. No, seriously I think you handled it perfectly. That Alexa is just to smart.

Melissa said...

Man I am going to miss that logical girl! You did the right thing. Your girls will remember the magic someday and be glad you lied.