Sunday, December 6, 2009

Salt Lake

The kids and I went up North last weekend to visit my sister, Siri, and her family. We had a great time, even if we weren't used to the frigid Northern Utah temperatures. Siri's baby is due in January and we had all her baby clothes, so we packed up everything she gave us, plus whatever we'd accumulated for Quinten that he had outgrown and took it all to her. It was more stuff than I had realized and it felt so great to get rid of it. We also took her our swing and rocking/bouncer seat. So, it's official- I have NO clothes in my house that are for a newborn baby. Crazy, huh??
We drove up on Saturday, went to church with them on Sunday, rode Trax downtown to see the lights at Temple Square, ate lunch at Ikea on Monday with Siri and Jack, and then left for home. It was good to get away and I always love seeing my sister; I wish she was closer than four hours- it's just a too little long to be easy. The above picture is of all the kids. We originally wanted a picture of Jack and Quinten's matching PJ's, but Jack would only be in the picture if Callie was too (he loves Callie), so we made it a group shot.
Siri and the kids on Trax. Jack loves trains, so this was great for him. He was hilarious- he kept yelling, "All aboard!" as loud as he could. You'll notice the girls hats and scarves: thank goodness Aunt Siri could outfit everyone... we brought coats, but I never thought to grab hats and such.
Leah spent the majority of the ride downtown this way.
Quinten slept almost the whole time we were there. He was by far the warmest of all of us. Alexa kept saying she couldn't smile because she was too cold. Siri made the comment that the last time she went to see the lights was with me and our friend, Elizabeth, when I was in college. it was the last time I was there, as well. It's amazing that we take for granted the things that are so close to us.

Callie took this picture. Not too bad.

This picture is really our of order, but has a funny story behind it. Quinten was screaming and didn't want to sit for a picture. Jack hates listening to crying- Siri says it really upsets him. I thought this picture was funny because of the look on Jack's face. He looks concerned and disgusted all at the same time.

We had such a good time. I always feel like I'm going home when I go up North. I get to about Spanish Fork and I breathe a sigh of relief and tell myself that I'm home. I suppose I lived there long enough to make it home and because my real home is completely unattainable most of the time, it is a good substitute. It also helps to have Siri there. This time of year is always bittersweet for me- I love the holidays and everything that goes with it, but it is also a reminder that I can't be with my family. When you come from a family of ten kids and you are one of only two that don't live near home, it twists your heart just a little when you know they are all together celebrating without you. I am blessed to have great in-laws nearby. It softens the blow, but doesn't always ease all the pain. Time is a funny thing, isn't it? You think the hard moments will never pass when you are going through them, but they always do. And in no time at all, you are looking back and wondering why you ever thought you couldn't manage. My mom told me just last week something she heard from a friend that made me bawl, but oddly made me feel better too: the Lord can move mountains and part seas for us if He chooses to; but, sometimes he merely shows us the path and makes us go over the mountains or shows us how to build the boat to cross the seas. It's not supposed to be easy, right??

6 comments:

Coordination Queen said...

If it was easy we'd never become better... if it was easy, we'd turn into one of thos tantrum throwing kids who is ALWAYS getting what they want and never sharing, you know, the ones you don't want your kids to play with because they pick up those behaviors... I never thought of it that way until right now, but I just realized how true it is.

Heather said...

I'm glad you got to see your sister. So it'sofficial huh, no more baby clothes=no more babies. It kinda feels good!

Melissa said...

You are so wise, Cori. Don't judge me if I teared up a little at the end, I'm just a lover, okay? Oh, by the way! I have a road project that I'll be working on in St. George beginning in January or February so I'll be down there a few times this winter. Maybe we can meet up...

Veronique said...

Cori-Love all the pictures. Glad you were able to go and see Siri. I know how you feel about being far away from home and especially this time of year. It's been ten years since I moved here and I still have to hold back tears on a regular basis at the thought of being so far from home. Its especially hard when my mom tells me she misses the kids and wishes we lived within driving distance so she could just stop by. Oh how that makes my heart just tug. I don't think the homesickness will every go away but I am grateful for technology and that travel is possible to see family. I just wish traveling with four kids (and one being wheelchair bound) was easier by myself because then I would go home more. love ya!

Tracey said...

It was fun to see your trip to temple square! Alexa cracks me up and I can just picture her being unable to smile due to the cold!! I"m glad you got a chance to go and feel a sense of home. I was lucky enough that Tom asked me to speak in sacrament meeting two weeks ago, then church was cancelled so my talk was postponed...I was talking about how doing service at Christmas can make us feel less homesick and lonely...having that talk hanging over my head for so long has really helped me stay grounded and not so sad...there are still moments but it helped. We are having a bunch of single marines over for Christmas and truly thinking of them, here ALL alone, living in barracks without cars or anything makes me count my blessings... I am with my family, I just miss the rest of them! Plus, one of my best friends here in Japan is actually back in Utah right now saying good-bye to her mother who is dying of cancer and may not make it until Christmas...I cry every time I think of her and I wish I could take away her pain, I know I can't complain. Plus, it helps to read posts like yours and know we're not alone in our feelings. Thanks for sharing!

Katie said...

Cute pictures. I am glad you were able to visit Siri. I am sure she loved having a sister visit. Isaac has the same monster pajamas. I love the feet on the pajamas. I agree that it is hard to be away from family when they are all getting together. I am glad I am getting closer.