Wednesday, December 23, 2009

December Happenings

We've had a busy month, as December usually is. Quinten had his six month check-up at the beginning of the month. Fifteen pounds even, which may seem small to all of you, but we think it's great! When you start out under six pounds and your parents are Andrew and I, we think he's doing well. :) And, considering Callie and Leah were both under twenty pounds at a year, he's huge! I took him in to the night clinic on Saturday- he's gained another pound this month (16.3 now) and he's got an ear infection. The kid hates his medicine- it took me 20 minutes to get it in him this morning and I think half of it was spit out on me or himself... headstrong little thing. I guess he fits into our house well. Quinten is such a great baby. He's happy almost always, he smiles at everyone, and his sisters still adore him. He is really loud, but it's not the same as the girls. The girls all starting making sounds and talking so early. Quinten just grunts and squeals. It's funny to listen to, but I'm sure will be a huge adjustment for me when I expect him to tell me what he wants for breakfast and he still can't do it. The difference between boys and girls, I guess. We're still trying to figure it all out.
We managed to decorate our Gingerbread house this year. The girls love doing it... Andrew and I- not so much. I forgot how long the thing is supposed to sit for the walls to harden before you put the candy on. We started it way too late and didn't leave it nearly as long as it should have been left. It was a long night, bedtime kept getting pushed back, but they had a great time.
Callie loves to pose for pictures. It's almost impossible to get a picture of her just smiling normal. I actually have to ask for it and then it still only happens sometimes.
The finished product.
One evening the girls asked to decorate sugar cookies. It was too late to start a batch of dough (well, too late for my tired self to start a batch) so I decided we'd make cupcakes instead and decorate them- quicker, cleaner, just as fun. You'll see by the pictures below what kind of fun they had...
Leah's were so caked with sprinkles that you couldn't see the frosting at all. Yep, she actually ate this one after she was done. Actually, all she ate was the frosting and the sprinkles... gross. You can see by her mouth that she was taste testing along the way. But, she loved it and kept saying, "Oh, it's beautiful!" I'm glad she thought so.
Callie's- not as bad as Leah's, but still had its fair share of sprinkles. She also ate the top of her cupcake and left the rest.
This is my conservative child. Even if Alexa wasn't years older than the other two, I could almost guarantee her cupcake would look just like this. That's just Alexa. She's very conscious of what she is doing, careful to do it right, and hates making mistakes. I love her, but I wonder sometimes what this careful attitude will do to her in years to come. She is way too hard on herself.
We've since decorated sugar cookies (in case anyone was wondering), but as usual, I failed to take pictures. However, given the pictures above, I'm sure you have a fairly good vision.
This is the kids in their Christmas clothes after church on Sunday. Quinten spends the majority of his day with his tongue hanging out. It's quite cute. And of course, there's Callie- not smiling but trying her hand at something else- literally, in this case.
This may be the last year Alexa will allow all of them to match. I think she thinks she is too old for it. I've pushed it the last couple years,but I may have to change my tune next year. Who knows? Maybe I can get away with one more year after this... it's just so cute. :) I even wore a black skirt and red shirt to church too... It's not normally something I try to do, but once a year isn't so bad. I tried to convince Andrew to wear his matching tie... no dice. He's not into that sort of thing, even on holidays. :)

11 comments:

Charlotta-love said...

I love the bottom picture of your babies. I remember my mom and I used to wear matching clothes. I thought it was sooooooo cool. Now I cringe when I think about it. Ah, how the definition of 'cool' changes as we get older. :o)

Merry Christmas!!!

Melissa said...

My mom used to buy my sisters and me coordinating outfits...I hated it. I don't even know if the word hate is strong enough to emphasize how much I disliked it. I think it has something to do with being the oldest and not wanting to be lumped together with littler kids.

Judie and George said...

That little sweater of Quinten's looks great with the dresses. He sure can smile! You weighed 16 pounds 9 ounces at a year.

Tracey said...

Love the pictures and loved your Christmas card, I can't believe you got everyone smiling and looking so cute! I know I've used this word a lot but I love the girls haircuts and yours, they look so nice. I think I'll have to get mine cut too!

carlyallred said...

Cori
We found your blog through Tom and Traci's! It's been a long time...how are you guys? Such a cute family. It brought back some fun memories seeing pictures of you and Andrew. Tell Andrew hi from us and if you ever come to Washington come and visit us, we'd love it. Derek says we still owe you a crab feed.

Heather said...

I love the Christmas outfits. Your kids are so beautiful. I'm glad that you had such a wonderful Christmas. I still can't believe how fast it came and went.

Veronique said...

The kids look cute in their outfits. I like you thinking on the cupcakes :)

Andrew and Cori said...

Moooooooom

Amie said...

Cori! They are sooo cute. And I love the church pics and the decorating. Oh, Alexa is really starting to look like her mom.

Wendy said...

Quinten is getting so big! And I love the picture of all your kids in their coordinating Christmas outfits. I'm guilty of dressing my girls in matching dresses too--I just can't help it when I find a darling dress, I have to get it for both of them!

Melissa said...

I miss your kids! Come and visit us again!